Wednesday, October 29, 2008

underwear at the gym

France, evening

There is one thing that I don't get of the gyms here...and I write gyms because I visited two different ones and both had this thing. The showers and the bathroom are in common between men and women. The gym where I go is kind of fancy, but still has this little peculiar thing. So, you see someone taking a shower naked, no matter if there are people of the other sex showering next to him/her and you see the majority of the others taking a shower in swimming suite. Is that normal? I have been to gyms in a lot of places around the world, but I never saw this.

The changing rooms are separated, but at the end people leave the door always open, because who cares if someone see the other, the shower are together anyway.....fortunately I live close by, so I take the shower at home.....but it is weird.
Beside this, today I experienced another weirdness. I needed to go to the bathroom, so I walked there and I saw a man underwear on the sink. So, my thought was ok, someone forgot it and he will come and get it, so I wait before to get in the bathroom. 1, 2, 3....5 minutes, none. So, I needed to use the bathroom and as the others were occupied, I used that one. I have to admit that I felt a bit uncomfortable. I peed in a rush thinking of the poor man who forgot his underwear maybe standing outside. Nope. Nothing. 45 minutes later, when I came back after finishing my exercises, no man and still the same underwear on the sink.

....so, I wonder, did the man go home without his underwear? didn't he realize that something was missing???....

3 comments:

Portlandier said...

That must feel strange to share space with the men too!

Piccola said...

Hahaha! Maybe he likes to go what we call here in the U.S. "commando" meaning, without underwear.

Wow, I can't believe the men and women shower in the same place. Here the men and women have completely separate rooms for showering and changing. Call me old fashioned, but I don't even feel comfortable getting naked around other women. I'd rather go home sweaty, plus, there are all kinds of germs in those showers, yuk! One could easily get athlete's foot there.

fromtheworld said...

It does feel strange to share the same space in fact. And I agree with both of you on that. I am probably old fashion too, but yes I do prefer to shower at home in general (I hate when at the gym everyone walk around naked also in the changing room) and as I wrote, I never experienced a place with common shower, and I have been living in a lot of different places....I guess whatever thing here is related to showering and showers, it is just not a big deal to anyone (except probably the people coming from abroad!).